Sunday, May 18, 2003

Remembering Good and Noble things …….Philippians 3:8

I found this in a word document I had written the day I found out that Mr. Rogers died (I cried). I grew up glued to Mr. Rogers. I loved him ….my sister would say he bored her and he was probably too low tech for some kids (how sad is that?), but he was so gentle to me, a television fantasy father. I loved the make believe and he and Captain Kangaroo taught me to tie my shoes. I fell in love with him more when I found out he loved classical music and his wife was a concert pianist. I thought I would post this because it reminded me how important it is to live a gentle life of affirmation and deliberate love, to leave this world a melody that would remain in peoples hearts and minds….It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood…..

Mr. Roger’s Sparrow song:

“We all have only one life to live on earth and through television we have the choice of encouraging others to demean this life or to cherish it in creative imaginative ways”. Fred Rogers

Things I learned from Mister Rogers:

I am the only one of me in the world
Everyone has something special about them
It is okay to be afraid or angry
Make believe is important
Hang up your sweater
Love and get to know your neighbor
Love yourself
Be gentle
Talk slower
There is a simple make-up song for all the things we experience
Listen
Be curious
Children have dignity

No comments: