Saturday, September 27, 2003

A dream

This is a dream my sister shared with me a long time ago. I have been thinking about it lately. I am going to narrate the dream as if it were a scene from a movie to help me tell it better.

SCENE:
The camera pans through a crowded city of people numbly going about their business. In the midst of this city, there is a room. It is transparent, made, perhaps, of glass. From time to time, individuals compelled by something in the room, wander to it and momentarily stop doing what they are occupied with to distantly gaze at the scene inside. A monotone, emotionless voice can be heard saying, “Yes, there is the Lamb, slain from the foundation of the world,” as it comes from an observer pressed against the glass. After the hollow acknowledgement, the individual returns to the activity of the city.

The camera now focuses on the space left by the observer. It closes in on a very old man within. As he hovers over a sacrifice on a massive stone altar, his tears fall on the body lying there. The ancient man’s sobs are anguished and mournful as he cries out to the crowds beyond his glass box……

“This is my child....... who will love my Son. Who will love my Jesus, slain from the foundation of the world?

Please....... love my Lamb.”

His grief is overwhelming……..the separation profound.



Today, I am thinking about how the veil was torn from top to bottom when Jesus breathed his last breath as the ultimate sacrifice. I was thinking about how the Holy of Holies which lies behind that curtain is passionately desired by His Father for us all. The experience is Jesus himself, overwhelming, breathtaking, intimate and raw………not his blessings or riches or perfect marriages, good kids, or successful ministry or personal fulfillment, but Himself alone.
But somehow, the veil has been replaced by another barrier, a barrier of knowledge, doctrinal correctness, attainment of godly things, worship of church, trying to make life work…..and the box gets bigger.

Adoration of the Shepard

May I break the glass created by myself and others to keep God in a safe, reasonable place in order to keep my eye on Him as I go about my business. This is risky; I may be wounded in the process. Will I ever break through and fully comprehend the love of the Father for His child, the depths of what it really cost Him.

Somehow I intuit that the secret to a life of glorifying the Father lies in the simple act of cherishing, meditating on His offering and testimony about His Son. To enter into the scene only for the sake of being in His presence, to weep with Him……the Ancient One, and tell Him I love Him, I love His Son, His Baby, who was slain from the foundation of the world.


1 John 5:1:
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well.

No comments: